Four people were lucky to escape with their lives following a fire at an isolated farmhouse in Bruthen last Friday morning.
The century-old weatherboard erupted in flames at about 8am and by the time the fire brigade arrived, it was well alight.
A man in his early 60s and his teenage son, along with a teenage girl and a man in his 50s, all managed to stumble out of the burning house.
It’s understood the occupants told authorities a mosquito coil was the cause of the blaze, but fire investigators are keeping an open mind.
The fire isn’t deemed suspicious.
Image: The remains of the old homestead in Bruthen which burnt down on Friday.
To read the full story, grab your copy of the Bairnsdale Advertiser from your local newsagent or subscribe online.